Lacey Green Windmill, Buckinghamshire

Go to Windmill Home Page

Visitor Attractions in the Chilterns

67 places to visit, including 45 shown on the map in the Chiltern Society's leaflet 'Your Chilterns'

Find Visitor Attractions on this page by any of the following:

Use Alphabetical List

◄ go to ALPHA list on left

Use List by Numbers on Map

◄ go to NUMBER list on left

Use map on this page

 ▼ go down to map

Go to properties beginning with   A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  L  M  N  O  P  R  S  T  W

 

Information on each property can include:

Name of property   -   Number on map

Brief description

Opening Hours (as published on official website)   -   [23/4/14] = date info checked (D/M/Y)

Admission Charges (Adult & Child only shown)   -   [23/4/14] = date info checked (D/M/Y)

Links to official website of property, and some other websites, purely recommended by ourselves

Telephone Number

Location

OS (Ordnance Suvey) Landranger Map Number(s)   -   OS Explorer Map Number(s)

*   Map Ref  (NGR or National Grid Reference)

*   Lat & Long  (Latitude & Longitude Coordinates)

*   Postcode

*   NGRs, Lat/Long, and Postcodes are given for use on Sat Nav systems and On Line Maps.

Postcodes can cover wide rural areas, so an NGR or Lat/Long is often more accurate.  Different systems accept NGRs or Lat/Long, and the figures may need to be in a different format to the variations shown.

NB  -  All external links will open new windows, mostly to specific property pages.

Go to the bottom of the page for some Important Notes

Amersham Museum, Bucks   (No 46 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The museum is in a late 15th century Hall House in the High Street of Old Amersham.  It opened in 1991 after many years of fundraising and a great deal of work restoring the building.  The contents of the museum concentrate on the history of Amersham from prehistoric to modern times.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open from March to October on Saturday, Sunday and BH Mondays (14.00-16.30).  From May to September, also open on Wednesdays & Thursdays  (14.00-16.30).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £2.50,  Children 5-15: £1.  [22/4/14]

Amersham Museum website

TEL:  01494 723700

LOCATION:  The museum is at 49 High Street, Old Amersham, which is on the N side of the High Street, to the W of the Market Hall.  There are plenty of parking spaces in the High Street, but often all in use. There is a car park further W along the High Street.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165 and 176,  OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Museum is at Map Ref SU956974   (or X=495600 Y=197400)

LAT/LONG:  The Museum is at Lat N51:40:02, Long W0:37:09  (or Decimal 51.6672, -0.6190)

POSTCODE:  HP7 0DP.

▲top  map

Ashridge Estate, Herts & Bucks   (No 10 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The National Trust's Ashridge Estate, together with Ivinghoe Beacon, has 1821 hectares (4500 acres) stretching along the Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire border from Berkhamsted Common to Ivinghoe Beacon.  The estate has a Visitor Centre near the Bridgewater monument which is always popular with visitors.

OPEN (in 2014):   The Estate is open all year.  The Visitor Centre is open every day from February 15th to December 21st (10.00-17.00).  Bridgewater Monument is open (weather dependent) on Saturdays and Sundays from April 5th to November 2nd (11.00-16.30).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Estate and Visitor Centre:  Free.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Bridgewater Monument (in 2014):  Adult: £2.50,  Child: £1.00.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT website

TEL (Visitor Centre):  01442 851227

LOCATION:  The Visitor Centre is accessed from the B4506 between Northchurch (at the NW end of Berkhamsted on the A4125) and Dagnall on the A4146.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165,  OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Visitor Centre is at Map Ref SP970131  (or X=497000 Y=213100)

LAT/LONG:  TheVisitor Centre is at Lat N51:48:29, Long W0:35:40  (or Decimal 51.8081, -0.5944)

POSTCODE:  HP4 1LX.

Also go down this page to Ivinghoe Beacon

▲top  map

Aston Rowant National Nature Reserve, Oxon   (No 19 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This nature reserve is on the steep west facing Chilterns escarpment, between Stokenchurch in Buckinghamshire and Lewknor in Oxfordshire.  It has the unusual characteristic of being cut in two by the M40 motorway which was sliced through the escarpment with the well known Stokenchurch cutting.  Despite this, the nature reserve is one of the 215 that Natural England (formerly known as English Nature) classify as nationally important, with its flower rich chalk grassland, butterflies, and beech woodland.  This is also a favourite place to watch Red Kites.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Natural England website

TEL:  01844 351833

LOCATION:  From Stokenchurch take the A40 W (not the M40), and then the first turning to the left, which leads to Christmas Common.  Soon turn right again, down a track which leads to a car park.  If you approach from Christmas Common direction, the track to the car park is on the left after you cross the high bridge over the M40 (Stokenchurch cutting).

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165,  OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Track to car park starts at Map Ref SU741967  (or X=474100 Y=196700).

LAT/LONG:  Track to car park starts at Lat N51:39:51, Long W0:55:48  (or Decimal 51.6642, -0.9300).

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is HP14 3YJ.

Also go down this page to Cowleaze Wood which is very close.

Also go down this page to Christmas Common Woods which are nearby.

▲top  map

Basildon, Berks

Go down this page to Beale Park

Basildon Park, Berks   (No 47 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Basildon Park is a Palladian Mansion that was built between 1776 and 1783, with some notable delicate original plasterwork.  The house was saved from ruin by Lord & Lady Iliffe in the 1950s, and is now in the care of the National Trust.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open from March 1st to November 2nd every day  (House 12.00-17.00, Grounds 10.00-17.00).  Grounds and parts of house also open at some other times in the early and late seasons, see NT website for details.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to House and Grounds (in 2014):  Adult: £12.00,  Child: £6.00.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Grounds only (in 2014):  Adult: £7.15,  Child: £3.60.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT website

TEL:  0118 984 3040

LOCATION:  This property is not strictly in the Chilterns, but just over the River Thames in Berkshire, W of the A329 between Streatley and Pangbourne.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175,  OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  House is at Map Ref SU611782  (or X=461100 Y=178200)

LAT/LONG:  House is at Lat N51:29:58, Long W1:07:16  (or Decimal 51.4994, -1.1211)

POSTCODE:  RG8 9NR.

▲top  map

Beaconsfield, Bucks

Go down this page to Bekonscot

Beale Park, Berks   (No 4 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Beale Park is a Thames-side parkland established in 1956 by Gordon Beale.  It has now become a unique garden with a world renowned collection of birds.  There are also other animals, and an increasing range of attractions for children.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day from February 11th to November 4th (10.00-18.00, but 10.00-17.00 in February, March, October, November).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (Feb 11th to March 28th, October 1st to November 4th):  Adult: £6.50,  Child (3-15): £4.50.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (29th March to 30th September):  Adult: £9.50,  Child (3-15): £7.50.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Beale Park website

TEL:  0844 826 1761

LOCATION:  This property is not strictly in the Chilterns, but just over the River Thames in Berkshire, E of the A329 between Streatley and Pangbourne.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175,  OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Entrance is at Map Ref  SU618779  (or X=461800 Y=177900)

LAT/LONG:  Entrance is at Lat N51:29:48, Long W1:06:40  (or Decimal 51.4966, -1.1111)

POSTCODE:  Actual postcode is RG8 9NH, but RG8 9NX is nearer for navigation purposes.

▲top  map

Bekonscot, Bucks   (No 21 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Bekonscot was started by Roland Callingham when he expanded his Beaconsfield garden into a meadow in the mid 1920s.  He started with a few model houses in the alpine garden, and the model railway soon followed.  By 1929 Callingham was persuaded that it was worthy of being open to the public, and since 1932 it has been run as a charitable organisation to distribute funds to charities.  During the 20th century the model village tended to keep up with modern times, by including the types of changes that were happening in towns and the countryside.  However, in 1993 it was decided to keep the model village in the style that its founder would have recognised in the 1930s.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day from 15th February to 2nd November (10.00-17.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £9.50,  Child (2-15): £5.50.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Bekonscot website

TEL:  01494 672919

LOCATION:  Bekonscot is in Warwick Road, just to the N of the town centre of New Beaconsfield, and just a 5 minute walk from Beaconsfield Station, on the line to Marylebone.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Bekonscot is at Map Ref SU939914   (or X=493900 Y=191400)

LAT/LONG:  Bekonscot is at Lat N51:36:49, Long W0:38:43  (or Decimal 51.6136, -0.6452)

POSTCODE:  HP9 2PL.

▲top  map

Berkhamsted Castle, Herts   (No 22 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Extensive remains of a motte and bailey castle which was first built by Robert, Count of Mortain, who was a half-brother to William the Conqueror.  The oldest stonework dates from the mid 12th century, and much of the curtain wall survives around the bailey.  The central motte still has the footings of its circular keep.  Some of the outer defences were destroyed by the building of the Euston railway line in the 19th century, and by road building in the 1930s.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day from 1 Apr 2014 to 29th Mar 2015  (10.00-18.00, closes at 16.00 from 26th Oct, closed Christmas Day and New Years Day).   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Free.   [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   English Heritage website

The Berkhamsted Local History and Museum Society have a very comprehensive website on the castle's history, see Berkhamsted Castle website

There is a gallery of photos of the castle at Berkhamsted.info website

LOCATION:  The castle is on the NE side of the town of Berkhamsted, very close to the station on the line to Euston, as well as the Grand Union Canal for those who prefer more leisurely forms of transport.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165,  OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Castle is at Map Ref SP995082  (or X=499500 Y=208200)

LAT/LONG:  The Castle is at Lat N51:45:49, Long W0:33:35  (or Decimal 51.7636, -0.5596)

▲top  map

Black Park Country Park, Bucks   (No 23 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  A park of 530 acres (214 hecrares) with miles of paths through woodland, grassland and heathland.  There is also a tarmac path right around the large lake, which is close to a large car park.  The park is looked after by Buckinghamshire County Council.

OPEN:  Open every day from 08.00. Closing times vary from 17.00 to 20.00 but are 20.00 from April to mid September   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Free  (Parking charge of £2.50 per car per day, can be used on the same day at Black Park, Langley Park and Denham Country Park - However, the charge at Black Park is £3.50 at weekends, Bank Holidays, and during August).     [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Bucks CC website

TEL:  01753 511060

LOCATION:  Black Park Country Park is to the W of Iver Heath, and just to the N of the A412, between Iver Heath and Slough. The car park is accessed via Black Park Road which runs to the N from the A412, and towards Fulmer.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 176,  OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The car park is at Map Ref TQ005832    (or X=500500 Y=183200)

LAT/LONG:  The car park is at Lat N51:32:20, Long W0:33:08  (or Decimal 51.5387, -0.5523)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is SL6 3DR.

Also go down this page to Langley Park which is just to the S of Black Park Country Park.

▲top  map

Bottom Wood, Bucks   (No 3 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The Chiltern Society's Bottom Wood is a Nature Reserve of 14.5 hectares (or 35.8 acres).  Over 700 species of plant and animal life have been recorded on this site.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.     [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Bottom Wood website  This is now part of The Chiltern Society's website.

TEL:  01494 483778

LOCATION:  Bottom Wood lies to the N of the A40 between West Wycombe and Stokenchurch in Buckinghamshire.  The nearest parking place is on Old Dashwood Hill.

OS MAPS:  Bottom Wood is on OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 171.

However, the parking on Old Dashwood Hill is not on OS Landranger 165 but on the sheet below, 175.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The centre of Bottom Wood is at Map Ref SU796957    (or X=479600 Y=195700).

Parking on Old Dashwood Hill is at Map Ref SU795949  (or X=479500 Y=194900).

LAT/LONG:  The centre of Bottom Wood is at Lat N51:38:50, Long W0:51:09  (or Decimal 51.6472, -0.8523).

Parking on Old Dashwood Hill is at Lat N51:39:16, Long W0:51:03  (or Decimal 51.6544, -0.8507).

POSTCODE:  The nearest postcode to Bottom Wood is HP14 4BY.

The postcode for parking on Old Dashwood Hill is HP14 3XD.

▲top  map

Burnham Beeches, Bucks   (No 8 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Burnham Beeches is 540 acres (or 240 hectares) and is now regareded as one of the finest examples of ancient woodlands in the country.  It was acquired by the City of London in 1880 to prevent it being purchased by developers. The City of London actually looks after seven park or forest sites well outside the City itself, another two being Epping Forest and Hampstead Heath.  The ancient pollarded Burnham Beech trees are famous, as they deserve to be, at up to 500 years old.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  Parking charge of £2.00 - Gates to parking areas are open from 08.00 to dusk (varies from 16.00 to 21.00)   [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   City of London website

TEL:  01753 647358

LOCATION:  Burnham Beeches are situated to the W of Farnham Common.  The A355 from Beaconsfield to Slough passes through Farnham Common.  In the centre of the village, turn W along Beeches Road and continue straight on to Lord Mayors Drive where there is parking.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175,  OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Lord Mayors Drive starts at Map Ref SU958851  (or X=495800 Y=185100)

LAT/LONG:  Lord Mayors Drive starts at Lat N51:33:24, Long W0:37:10  (or Decimal 51.5566, -0.6195)

▲top  map

Chalfont St Giles, Bucks

Go down this page to Chiltern Open Air Museum

Chenies Manor, Bucks   (No 14 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Chenies Manor House was the home of the Cheyne/Russell family for 800 years, the earliest part of the present house was built in 1460.  Under its current owner the gardens have justifiably become very well known.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open from April to October on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and BH Mondays (14.00-17.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to House and Garden (in 2014):  Adult: £7.00,  Child: £4.00.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Garden and Exhibition (in 2014):  Adult: £5.00,  Child: £3.50.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Chenies Manor website

TEL:  01494 762888

LOCATION:  Chenies is in Buckinghamshire, near the border with Hertfordshire.  It is just N of the A404 between Chorleywood and Little Chalfont.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 176,  OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Chenies Manor is at Map Ref  TQ015984  (or X=501500 Y=198400)

LAT/LONG:  Chenies Manor is at Lat N51:40:31, Long W0:32:01  (or Decimal 51.675209, -0.5335)

POSTCODE:  WD3 6ER.

▲top  map

Chesham Museum, Bucks   (No 48 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Chesham Museum was established to portray the town's interesting history.  The town has had many industrial specialities, a large number of non-conformist chapels and churches, many town charities as well as some well known local families.  The museum has now moved to a site in Chesham Town Centre.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open from 1st April to 1st September on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays (11.00-16.00)  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Admission is now Free  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Chesham Museum website which includes some interesting galleries of old photos.

TEL:  01494 792549

LOCATION:  In 2009 the Museum re-opened in a new location at 15 Market Square, Chesham.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165,  OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Chesham Museum is at Map Ref  SP959015  (or X=495900 Y=2015000)

LAT/LONG:  Chesham Museum is at Lat N51:42:14, Long W0:36:47  (or Decimal 51.703969, -0.613065)

POSTCODE:  HP5 1HG.

▲top  map

Chiltern Open Air Museum, Bucks   (No 15 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The Chiltern Open Air Museum was established in 1976 and now houses a collection of more than 30 buildings that have been saved from destruction.  They portray the distinctive character of the built landscape of the Chilterns in an open setting which also accommodates a large programme of events each year.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day from March 29th to October 31st (10.00-17.00, last admission at 15.30).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £9.50,  Child (4-16): £6.00.  These prices from their website include a voluntary 10% gift aid donation.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   COAM website

TEL:  01494 871117

LOCATION:  The museum is to the E of Chalfont St Giles in Buckinghamshire and is well signposted from the A413 at Chalfont St Giles and and Chalfont St Peter.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 176, and OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Entrance to Newland Park and COAM is at Map Ref TQ006936  (or X=500600 Y=193600)

LAT/LONG:  Entrance to Newland Park and COAM is at Lat N51:37:56, Long W0:32:52  (or Decimal 51.6322, -0.5478)

POSTCODE:  HP8 4AB.

▲top  map

Chilterns Gateway Centre, Beds  

Go down this page to Dunstable Downs & Chilterns Gateway Centre

Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway, Oxon   (No 49 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This railway is also known as The Icknield Line, it was opened between Princes Risborough and Watlington with intermediate staions at Chinnor and Aston Rowant.  The line was closed to passenger traffic in 1957, but used for goods until 1961, when the track from Chinnor to Watlington was lifted.  The track from Princes Risborough to Chinnor was still used for carrying coal to Chinnor cement works until 1989.  In 1994 the C&PR Railway Association were able to purchase the line and start operating passenger trains again.  They now operate trains most weekends (except January to mid March), running from Chinnor to within a mile of Princes Risborough station, and look forward to the day when they can run trains through to Princes Risborough again.

OPEN (in 2014):  The railway is operating a variety of trains from March 30th until January 4th 2015, on every Sunday, some Saturdays, and over BH weekends, and some extra days in August and December. See "Timetable" on their website for full details.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION and Ticket on a Normal Steam Train Day (in 2014):  Adult: £11.00,  Child (3-15): £6.00.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   C&PR Railway website

TEL (Talking Timetable):  01844 353535

TEL (General Enquiries):  07979 055366

LOCATION:  Chinnor Station is to the SE of Chinnor village in Oxfordshire.  Take the road towards the SE and the Chiltern Hills from the roundabout in the centre of the village.  The roundabout is on the B4009 which connects with J6 of the M40 just 3 miles away.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165,  OS Explorer 181.  Chinnor station (and the southern half of Chinnor village) is also just on OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Station is at Map Ref SP757005  (or X=475700 Y=200500)

LAT/LONG:  Station is at Lat N51:41:53, Long W0:54:22  (or Decimal 51.6981, -0.9060)

POSTCODE:  OX39 4ER.

▲top  map

Christmas Common Woods, Oxon   (No 50 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  There are many woods with public access around the village of Christmas Common, near Watlington.  The National Trust own four woods on or near the Chiltern escarpment, they are Watlington Hill, Lower Deans Wood, Greenfield Copse, and Howe Wood.  They are W and SW of the village of Christmas Common.  The Forestry Commission own three woods that are to the SE of the village, they are Queen Wood, Fire Wood, and College Wood.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside sites.  [22/4/14]

LOCATION:  The village of Christmas Common is to the SE of Watlington.  A good map will be essential to find your way to these woods, and around and between them.  OS Explorer 171 is recommended for these sites.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The village is at Map Ref SU715933    (or X=471500 Y=193300)

LAT/LONG:  The village is at Lat N51:38:02, Long W0:58:06  (or Decimal 51.6339, -0.9683)

POSTCODE:  OX49 5HR.

Also go up this page to Aston Rowant National Nature Reserve

Also go down this page to Cowleaze Wood

▲top  map

Cliveden, Bucks   (No 51 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Cliveden has, of course, long been famous for its residents and their guests.  However, it is probably only those of the 20th century that most people would easily recall.  The Italianate mansion is now a private hotel, but its owners, the National Trust, still open a very limited part of the house to the public on two afternoons for 7 months of the year.  However the extensive grounds and magnificent gardens are opened to the public by the National Trust every day for more than 10 months each year.

GARDENS OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day from February 15th to October 26th (10.00-17.30).  Open every day from October 27th to December 31st, but closed Christmas Day (10.00-16.00).  [22/4/14]

HOUSE (part of) OPEN (in 2014):  Open by Timed Tickets on Thursdays and Sundays from April to October  (15.00-17.30).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Gardens (in 2014):  Adult: £9.00,  Child: £4.50.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to House (in 2014):  Adult: £1.50,  Child: £0.75.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT website

There is a good set of photos of Cliveden at Peter Goodearl's website

TEL:  01628 605069 (Estate Office)

LOCATION:  Cliveden is located to the E of the Thames (as the river travels S towards Maidenhead), and lies to the SE of Bourne End, and the N of Taplow.  It is well signposted from Bourne End on the A4155 and A4094, from the A4 at Taplow, and from Holtspur (W of Beaconsfield) on the A40.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance to Cliveden is at Map Ref SU915850   (or X=491500 Y=185000)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance to Cliveden is at Lat N51:33:23, Long W0:40:54  (or Decimal 51.5564, -0.6815)

POSTCODE:  SL6 0JA.  However the nearest postcode for the entrance to Cliveden is SL1 8NS.

▲top  map

College Lake, Bucks   (No 24 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  College Lake Wildlife Centre has been established in a former chalk quarry that used to supply the Pitstone Cement Works.  Its 65 hectares (or 160 acres) are apparently home to over 1000 species of wildlife including many wildfowl and water birds.  It is one of many sites that are cared for by the Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Wildlife Trust, and known as one of their 'Flagship Reserves'.

OPEN:  Days not stipulated on BBOWT website  (9.30-17.00, last admission at 16.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  No details of any charge seem to be shown on BBOWT website.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   BBOWT website

TEL:  01442 826774

LOCATION:  The unsigned entrance is on the N side of the B488 between Tring and Ivinghoe.  From Tring direction, it is on the left after a narrow bridge over the Grand Union Canal at Bulbourne.  From Ivinghoe direction, it is on the right after a narrow bridge (with traffic Lights) over the railway.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance is at Map Ref  SP935139  (or X=493500 Y=213900)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance is at Lat N51:48:57, Long W0:38:42  (or Decimal 51.8159, -0.6450)

POSTCODE:  HP23 5QG.

▲top  map

Coombe Hill, Bucks   (No 6 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Coombe Hill includes the highest point of the Chilterns, at 260 metres (853 feet), although the highest point is also claimed by Wendover Woods.  The National Trust owns the chalk downland of Coombe Hill on the Chiltern escarpment near Wendover.  It is famous for its views over the Vale of Aylesbury, and as far as the Cotswolds on very clear days.  In 1904 a spot near the summit was chosen for a monument to the Buckinghamshire men who died in the Second Boer War.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT website  (Chilterns Countryside)  [22/4/14]

LOCATION:  Coombe Hill is to the SW of Wendover in Buckinghamshire.  The easiest approach to the top of the hill is from a car park to the N of Dunsmore.  This can be accessed from Butlers Cross.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165,  OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The top of Coombe Hill is at Map Ref SP849068  (or X=484900 Y=206800)

The nearest car park is at Map Ref SP852062  (or X=485200 Y=206200)

LAT/LONG:  The top of Coombe Hill is at Lat 51:45:12N, Long: 0:46:17W  (or Decimal 51.7534, -0.7714)

The nearest car park is at Lat 51:44:53N, Long 0:46:02W  (or Decimal 51.7480, -0.7672)

POSTCODE:  HP17 0UL.

▲top  map

Cowleaze Wood, Oxon   (No 64 on map)

In April 2014, as in March 2013, the situation with Cowleaze Wood is still uncertain.  The following information was correct in Jan 2012: 

DESCRIPTION:  Cowleaze Wood is managed by the Forestry Commission and the wood is open to visitors.  It has been well known since 1990 for the Chiltern Sculpture Trail that was established in the wood by a local voluntary organisation, the Chiltern Sculpture Trust.  They worked in collaboration with the Forestry Commission, and with the support of South Oxfordshire District Council and the Arts Council.  However, due to a lack of funding, in November 2007 the project has had to close and the sculptures were removed from the wood, some of them being sold at auction in December 2007.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [18/1/12THIS NEEDS TO BE CHECKED

WEBSITE:   Forestry Commission website   NOT NOW AVAILABLE

The comprehensive website (which started in 2003) on the Sculpture Trail is still available at Chiltern Sculpture Trail website and an announcement in January 2009 says that it will remain as an online record of the Trail.  However, in April 2014 it is not now available.

LOCATION:  From Stokenchurch take the A40 W (not the M40), and then the first turning to the left, which leads to Christmas Common.  Pass over the high level bridge over the M40 (Stokenchurch cutting).  Cowleaze Wood is on the left hand side, where there is a car park.  From Christmas Common direction, the wood and car park are on the right.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The wood is at Map Ref SU725955  (or X=472500 Y=195500)

LAT/LONG:  The wood is at Lat N51:39:13, Long W0:57:12  (or Decimal 51.6536, -0.9534)

POSTCODE:  The nearest postcode is HP14 3YL.

Also go up this page to Aston Rowant National Nature Reserve

Also go up this page to Christmas Common Woods

▲top  map

Dunstable Downs & Chilterns Gateway Centre, Beds   (No 16 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The visitor centre (which opened in early 2007) has been built to take advantage of the breathtaking views from the Dunstable Downs.  The centre has been established as a joint project between the National Trust and local authorities in Bedfordshire.

OPEN (in 2014):  The Chilterns Gateway Centre is open every day, but closed 24th and 25th December.  (10.00-17.00, or closes at dusk if earlier, but open 9.00-18.00 in August).   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Free to Visitor Centre and open countryside site, parking charge of £2.50.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT web site

TEL:  01582 500920

LOCATION:  The Chilterns Gateway Centre is SW of Dunstable.  It is accessed from the B4541 which runs between the B489 at Dunstable and the B4540 at Whipsnade.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Chilterns Gateway Centre is at Map Ref TL002189  (or X=500200 Y=218900)

LAT/LONG:  Chilterns Gateway Centre is at Lat N51:51:35, Long W0:32:47  (or Decimal 51.8596, -0.5463)

POSTCODE:  LU6 2GY (or LU6 2TA for older equipment).

▲top  map

Earl Howe Figurehead, Bucks   (No 52 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This figurehead of Admiral Earl Howe has made an unusual site in the front of a garden at The Lee since the 1920s.  It came from the last wooden warship that was built for the Royal Navy.  That ship was built in 1860 and was the second of four Royal Navy ships named HMS Howe, after Admiral Richard Howe (1st Earl Howe) who defeated the French on the "Glorious First of June" in 1794.  In the 1920s the ship (which had only ever been used for training) was purchased by the Liberty family who used many of its timbers in the rebuilding of the family's Regent Street store.  A roof now protects the figurehead from the elements.

LOCATION:  The Buckinghamshire village of The Lee lies between Wendover and Chesham to the E of the A413.  The figurehead can be seen just S of The Lee, from the road that leads to South Heath.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The figurehead is at Map Ref SP900039  (or X=490000 Y=203900)

LAT/LONG:  The figurehead is at Lat N51:43:36, Long W0:41:54  (or Decimal 51.7266, -0.6983)

POSTCODE:  HP16 9NA.

▲top  map

Environment Centre, Bucks   (No 26 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This centre was set up in High Wycombe, in a building next to the outdoor swimming pool on the open space known as The Rye.  It hosted various exhibitions and meetings with an environmental theme, and was committed to raising awareness and understanding of environmental issues.  Sadly, after seven years of operation, the Environment Centre closed on 31st March 2010.

However, in March 2012 they moved into an office block in West Wycombe Road, High Wycombe.

WEBSITE:   Environment Centre website details their activities.   [22/4/14]

TEL:  01494 526667

LOCATION:  Wye River Studios, 17 West Wycombe Road, High Wycombe, Bucks.

POSTCODE:  HP11 2LG.

▲top  map

Ewelme Watercress Beds, Oxon   (No 1 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  An area of 6.5 acres (or 2.6 hectares) which was purchased by the Chiltern Society in 2000.  The historic structures of the old watercress beds have been restored, leaving the water to flow gently through the village.  Regulations had stopped the selling of watercress from this site in the late 20th century, and the site is now managed for its heritage and landscape value, as well as being an increasingly important nature reserve.  A new Watercress Centre for visitors and the volunteers who look after the site has now been built to replace the old packing shed on the site.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open Days and Guided Walks are on the first Sunday of each month.  January to April and October to December (10.30).  May to September (14.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £3.00,  Accompanied Child: Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Ewelme Watercress Beds website

TEL:  01491 835173

LOCATION:  The Watercress Centre is in the centre of the village of Ewelme which lies to the E of Benson, which is N of Wallingford.  Ewelme is signposted from the A4130 to the S, the A4074 to the W, and the B4009 to the N.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 164 & 175,  OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Watercress Centre is at Map Ref SU641917  (or X=464100 Y=191700)

LAT/LONG:  Watercress Centre is at Lat N51:37:14, Long W1:04:32  (or Decimal 51.6204, -1.0755)

POSTCODE:  OX10 6HJ.

▲top  map

Ford End Watermill, Bucks   (No 27 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This watermill is the only working watermill in Buckinghamshire with its original machinery.  It was a small farm mill and it is still seen as it would have looked in the late 1800s.  It had remained in use until 1963.  It has now been restored by volunteers from the Pitstone Local History Society.  It is now administered by a separate organisation dedicated to the watermill itself.  On the dates below that are underlined and in bold text, milling demonstrations are planned between 2.30 and 4.30.

OPEN (in 2014):   March 30th,  April 21st,  May 5th + 11th + 26th,  June 8th + 22nd,  July 6th + 27th,  August 10th + 25th,  September 7th + 21st,  October 12th..   (14.00-17.00, last admission at 16.30).     [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £3.00, Child (5-15): 50p.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Ford End Watermill website where there is a large amount of information about the mill available at "Click here for a guide to the mill".

LOCATION:  The watermill is at Ford End Farm, which is just to the NW of Ivinhoe village.  Take the B488 towards Linslade, and the farm and watermill are on the left just on the edge of Ivinghoe village.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Watermill is at Map Ref SP941165   (or X=494100 Y=216500)

LAT/LONG:  The Watermill is at Lat N51:50:21, Long W0:38:08  (or Decimal 51.8391, -0.6355)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is LU7 9EA.

Also go down this page to Pitstone Windmill which is nearby.

Also go down this page to Pitstone Green Farm Museum which is nearby.

▲top  map

Frogmore Paper Mill, Herts

Go down this page to Paper Trail at Apsley

Grey’s Court, Oxon   (No 53 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Grey's Court is a delightful Tudor Manor House, with a tower surviving from a 14th castle.  There are also some medieval walls in the attractive gardens.  A rare feature is the donkey powered treadwheel which was used for raising water from a well.  Grey's Court is a National Trust property.  The house was re-opened in 2010 after 2 years of extensive conservation work.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day from March 3rd to December 31st, except 7th Sept, 24th & 25th December)   (Garden 10.00-17.00, House 13.00-17.00, but not in November, House Tours 11.00-13.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to House and Garden (in 2014):  Adult: £10.80, Child: £5.40.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Garden only (in 2014):  Adult: £8.80, Child: £4.40.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT website

There is a good set of photos of Grey's Court at Peter Goodearl's website

TEL:  01491 628529

LOCATION:  Grey's Court is to the W of Henley-on-Thames.  There is a direct route from Henley, leaving the town by the road to the left of the Town Hall.  Alternatively, a route is signposted from the A4130 / B481 roundabout at Nettlebed.  Take the B481 towards Sonning Common, and turn left after 3 miles.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Entrance Road is at Map Ref SU728834  (or X=472800 Y=183400)

LAT/LONG:  The Entrance Road is at Lat N51:32:41, Long W0:57:06  (or Decimal 51.5448, -0.9515)

POSTCODE:  RG9 4PG.

▲top  map

Henley, Oxon

Go down this page to River and Rowing Musem at Henley

High Wycombe, Bucks

Go up this page to Environment Centre

Go down this page to Pann Watermill

Go down this page to Wycombe Museum

Hitchin British Schools Museum, Herts   (No 54 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The Hitchin British Schools Museum is a collection of buildings that are remarkable survivals from 19th century education.  To me, the highlight has to be the Lancasterian Schoolroom of 1832 which was built to Joseph Lancaster's specifications.  It is a vast room where one master would teach 300 boys.  There is also a galleried classroom of 1853, and an infants and girls' school building of 1857.  At that time a pair of houses were also built for the headmaster and headmistress.  The headmaster's house is now open to the public.  This unique site is run almost entirely by volunteers.

OPEN (in 2014):  From 18th February to 25th November (except Saturdays 10 & 24 May) as follows:  Tuesdays (10.00-16.00),  Saturdays (10.00-13.00),  Sundays (14.00-17.00).   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £4.50, Child (5-17): £2.00.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Hitchin British Schools Museum website

TEL:  01462 420144

LOCATION:  The British Schools Museum at Hitchin is at 41/42 Queen Street which is part of the B656 which runs up the E side of the town centre. From the S, the Museum is just past a small roundabout on the right hand side. There are car parks further N up Queen Street.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166, OS Explorer 193.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Museum is at Map Ref TL186288    (or X=518600 Y=228800)

LAT/LONG:  The Museum is at Lat N51:56:42, Long W0:16:33  (or Decimal 51.9450, -0.2759)

POSTCODE:  SG4 9TS.

▲top  map

Hitchin Museum, Herts   (No 28 on map)

The Museum is now closed whilst a new North Hertfordshire museum is being developed, now scheduled to open in Hitchin Town Hall in 2015. The following information refers to the previous museum:   [22/4/14]

DESCRIPTION:  The Hitchin Museum and Art Gallery had six main galleries, it was founded in 1939, in an elegant house donated by a local family of grocers.  A particular highlight was the interior of a Hitchin pharmacy shop, which dates back to 1790 and was in use until 1961.

WEBSITE:   Hitchin Museum website

TEL:  01462 434476

LOCATION:  The Museum was situated at Paynes Park which is by a busy roundabout on the W side of the town centre, where the A602 (from Stevenage) joins the A505 (from Luton).  Look for signs to nearby car parks.

▲top  map

Home of Rest for Horses, Bucks   (No 25 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The Home of Rest for Horses is run by a charity that is now called The Horse Trust.  Its first premises were opened in 1886 to care for overworked horses from London's streets.  Since then it has occupied premises in Sudbury, Acton, Cricklewood and Borehamwood before moving to the Chilterns in 1975.  It now cares for all types of horses, most of which are in their retirement.

OPEN (in 2014):  February to November on Thursdays to Sundays (14.00-16.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  £5 per vehicle entrance fee (OAP/Concessions £3).  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Horse Trust website

TEL:  01494 488464

LOCATION:  The Home is S of the village of Lacey Green, which is 2 miles S of Princes Risborough.  The Home is signposted from Bradenham village on the A4010 between High Wycombe and Princes Risborough.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Entrance to the Home is at Map Ref SU831994  (or X=483100 Y=199400)

LAT/LONG:  The Entrance to the Home is at Lat N51::, Long W0::  (or Decimal 51.41,14 -0.7992)

POSTCODE:  HP27 0PP.

Also go down this page to Lacey Green Windmill which is nearby.

▲top  map

Hughenden Manor, Bucks   (No 55 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  From 1848 until his death in 1881, Hughenden Manor was the country home of Benjamin Disraeli.  There are many exhibits from his life as one of the most unlikely Prime Ministers that the country has ever seen.  He was a firm favourite of Queen Victoria.  The structure of the house dates from the end of the 18th century, but Disraeli remodelled it in 1862.  It has belonged to the National Trust since 1947.

OPEN (in 2014):  Every day from February 15th to December 31st:  (Garden 10.00-17.30)  (House 11.00-17.00)   Closes dusk if earlier.  Closed 24th and 25th December.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to House and Garden (in 2014):  Adult: £8.50,  Child: £4.25.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Garden only (in 2014):  Adult: £3.20,  Child: £2.20.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT website

TEL:  01494 755565

LOCATION:  Hughenden Manor is just to the N of High Wycombe, and W of the A4128 between High Wycombe and Great Missenden.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165 (just on the lower edge), OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance is at Map Ref SU866955   (or X=486600 Y=195500)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance is at Lat N51:39:06, Long W0:44:59  (or Decimal 51.6516, -0.7496)

POSTCODE:  HP14 4LA.

▲top  map

Ivinghoe Beacon, Bucks   (No 9 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The National Trust owns this spectacular downland forming part of the Buckinghamshire Chiltern Escarpment.  The beacon has an impressive Bronze-Age hill fort and barrows. 

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT web site   (Ashridge Estate)

LOCATION:  Ivinghoe Beacon is to the NE of Ivinghoe village, and to the S of the B489 which runs between Tring and Dunstable.  There is a car park to the S of the Beacon, off the road to Little Gaddesden.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The car park is at Map Ref SP964160  (or X=496400 Y=216000)

LAT/LONG:  The car park is at Lat N51:50:03, Long W0:36:08  (or Decimal 51.8343, -0.6023)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is LU6 2EG.

Also go up page to Ashridge Estate

▲top  map

Ivinghoe

Go up this page to Ford End Watermill

Also go down this page to Pitstone Green Farm Museum and Pitstone Windmill

Lacey Green Windmill, Bucks   (No 5 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This Buckinghamshire windmill stands near the Chilterns escarpment to take full benefit from the prevailing wind.  It is the oldest smock windmill in the country, with wooden machinery dating from the mid 17th century.

OPEN (in 2014):  From May 4th to September 28th on Sundays and Bank Holidays  (14.00-17.00)

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £2.00,  Child (5-15): £1.00.

WEBSITE:   Lacey Green windmill website

TEL:  01844 275871.

LOCATION:  Lacey Green is 2 miles S of Princes Risborough which is on the A4010 between High Wycombe and Aylesbury.   On Open Days the windmill is signposted from the A4010 just south of Princes Risborough.  On entering Lacey Green at the top of the hill, turn left into Pink Road, and park.  Then walk up the driveway to the right of "The Whip" pub.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165,  OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Windmill is at Map Ref  SP819008  (or X=481900 Y=200800)

LAT/LONG:  The Windmill is at Lat N51:41:59, Long W0:48:59  (or Decimal 51.6999, -0.8163)

POSTCODE:  HP27 0PG.

Also go up this page to Home of Rest for Horses which is nearby.

▲top  map

Lacey Green

Go up this page to Home of Rest for Horses

Langley Park Country Park, Bucks   (No 20 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Langley Park Country Park occupies the NW portion of the historic Langley Park.  Various times in its history can be traced, such as ancient trees in a medieval deer park, and also the setting for an ambitious 18th century landscape design.  There is also a Rhododendron Garden in the country park that is cared for by Buckinghamshire County Council.  There is a car park for the site.  2008 saw the start of an ambitious programme to restore many of the park's historic features, and improve access and facilities for visitors.

OPEN:  Open every day from 08.15. Closing times vary from 16.30 to 19.30 but are 19.30 from April to mid September   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Free  (Parking charge of £2.50 per car per day, but see Black Park Country Park).  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Bucks CC website

TEL:  01753 511060

LOCATION:  Langley Park Country Park is to the W of Iver Heath, and just to the S of the A412, between Iver Heath and Slough.  The car park is accessed via Billet Lane which runs to the S from the A412.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 176, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The car park is at Map Ref TQ016822  (or X=501600 Y=182200)

LAT/LONG:  The car park is at Lat N51:31:46, Long W0:32:12  (or Decimal 51.5295, -0.5367)

Also go up this page to Black Park Country Park which is just to the N of Langley Park Country Park.

▲top  map

Luton, Beds

Go down this page to Stockwood Park and Discovery Centre

Go down this page to Wardown Park and Museum

Maharajah's Well, Oxon   (No 56 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  An unusual feature of the 1860s in the Oxfordshire village of Stoke Row.  A gilded dome covers a well that was dug 368 feet deep for the area in the heart of the Oxfordshire Chilterns that had little water.  It was dug because of an endowment by the Maharajah of Benares in India, to thank the local squire for the work he had done in India for many years.

ADMISSION:  Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Stoke Row Parish Council web site

LOCATION:  The well is in the centre of the village of Stoke Row, which is to the SW of Nettlebed.  It is signposted from the A4074 near Woodcote, and from the B481 between Sonning Common and Nettlebed.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175,  OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Well is at Map Ref SU678841  (or X=467800 Y=184100).

LAT/LONG:  The Well is at Lat N51:33:06, Long W1:01:25  (or Decimal 51.5517, -1.0235).

POSTCODE:  RG9 5QP.

▲top  map

Mapledurham House & Watermill, Oxon   (No 32 on map)

DESCRIPTION - HOUSE:  Mapledurham House is a very attractive brick Manor House.  The present building was started in around 1588.  It has had a turbulent history, but now enjoys a quieter life in its setting by the River Thames.  It can be very difficult to realise that the outskirts of Reading are very close across the Thames.

DESCRIPTION - WATERMILL:  Mapledurham Watermill is the only mill on the Thames still working and producing high-quality stoneground flour.  Parts of the present building date from the 15th century, after which it was extended twice in the 17th century.  It continued in use until just after WW2, but was restored to start working again in 1980.

OPEN ~ House and Watermill (in 2014):  House & Watermill open from 19th April until 20th September, on Saturdays, Sundays and BH's, and also Sundays in October. (14.00-17.30)   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to House and Watermill (in 2014):  Adult: £9.00,  Child (5-16): £3.50.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Mapledurham website

TEL:  0118 972 3350  (Estate)

OPEN IN WINTER ~ Watermill only (in 2014/15):  November to End of March. on 1st and 3rd Sundays (10.00 -13.00)  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION IN WINTER ~ Watermill only (in 2014/15:  Not stated on website.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Mapledurham Watermill website

TEL:  07710 717149  (Watermill)

LOCATION:  Mapledurham is to the W of Caversham.  It is approached via the A4074 between Caversham and Wallingford.  Just N of the outskirts of Caversham turn W opposite a pub called the "Pack Saddle", then turn left at a crossroads, after which you will be on a long lane down to Mapledurham.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Mapledurham is at Map Ref SU670763  (or X=467000 Y=176300)

LAT/LONG:  Mapledurham is at Lat N51:28:54, Long W1:02:12  (or Decimal 51.4816, -1.0365)

POSTCODE:  RG4 7TR.

▲top  map

Marlow Mueum, Bucks   (not yet on map, will be 67)

DESCRIPTION:  This new museum is in a small building in front of Court Garden Leisure Centre.

OPEN:   March to October: Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays (13.00-17.00).  November to February: Sundays and New Years Day (14.00-16.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Does not now seem to be mentioned on website.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Marlow Museum website

TEL:  see website

LOCATION:  Marlow Museum is in front of the main entrance to Court Garden Leisure Centre, Pound Lane, Marlow.  Parking is available in the Pound Lane car park.  Pound Lane goes west from the mini-roundabout just north of Marlow Bridge.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Museum is at Map Ref SU848861   (or X=484883 Y=186148)

LAT/LONG:  The Museum is at Lat N51:34:04, Long W0:46:36  (or Decimal 51.5678, -0.7767)

POSTCODE:  SL7 2AE.

▲top  map

Mead Open Farm, Beds   (No 29 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Mead Open Farm has a great variety of attractions and events for children.

OPEN (in 2014):  Every day except December 24th to 26th and Jan 1st.  (10.00-18.30)   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION at standard prices for weekends and during Bedfordshire school and bank holidays (in 2014):  Adult: £10.75,  Child (2-16): £9.75.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION after 15.30 during Beds school term times (in 2014):  Adult: £6.50,  Child (2-16): £5.50.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION at off peak times, during Bedfordshire school term times (Mon-Fri) (in 2014):  Adult: £9.75,  Child (2-16): £8.75.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Mead Open Farm website

TEL:  01525 852954

LOCATION:  The Farm is E of Billington, which is SE of Leighton Buzzard.  It is on Stanbridge Road which runs between the A505 and the A4146. 

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 192.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Farm is at Map Ref SP952228  (or X=495200 Y=222800)

LAT/LONG:  The Farm is at Lat N51:53:44, Long W0:37:04  (or Decimal 51.8956, -0.6178)

POSTCODE:  LU7 9JH.

▲top  map

Milton’s Cottage, Bucks   (No 30 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Milton's Cottage is at Chalfont St Giles. 2008 is the 400th Anniversary of John Milton's death.  He lived in many places during his lifetime but the 16th century cottage at Chalfont St Giles is the only one of the poet's homes to survive.  He completed "Paradise Lost" whilst living here.  The cottage is run by the Milton Cottage Trust.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open daily except Mondays (but open BH Mons) from March 1st to October 31st (10.00-13.00 & 14.00-18.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £6.00,  Child (under 15): £3.00.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Milton's Cottage website

All of John Milton's poetry can be read at the Milton Reading Room website  from Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA.

TEL:  01494 872313

LOCATION:  Milton's Cottage is at Deanway, Chalfont St Giles.  From the A413, take the road through the village of Chalfont St Giles and Milton's Cottage is at the far end on the left.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175 or 176, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Cottage is at Map Ref SU989933   (or X=498900 Y=193300)

LAT/LONG:  The Cottage is at Lat N51:37:49, Long W0:34:18  (or Decimal 51.6302, -0.5717)

POSTCODE:  HP8 4JH.

▲top  map

Natural History Museum at Tring, Herts   (No 31 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The Museum was formed as the private collection of Lionel Walter, 2nd Baron Rothschild, who lived at Tring Park, just behind the museum buildings.  He was a member of the famous banking family, but had a much greater life-long interest in zoology and collecting specimens.  He kept many live animals in the park, but his vast museum collection was open to the public from 1892, and was gifted to the nation in 1937.  It is now run as part of the Natural History Museum in South Kensington.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day, except December 24th to 26th.  (Mondays to Saturdays 10.00-17.00,  Sundays 14.00-17.00)   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Natural History Museum at Tring website

TEL:  020 7942 6171

LOCATION:  The Museum is in Akeman Street which runs to the S from the centre of Tring High Street

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Museum is at Map Ref SP924111   (or X=492400 Y=211100)

LAT/LONG:  The Museum is at Lat N51:47:27, Long W0:39:42  (or Decimal 51.7909, -0.6616)

POSTCODE:  HP23 6AP.

▲top  map

Nettlebed Brick Kiln, Oxon   (No 2 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The surviving Bottle Kiln is one of many that would originally have been around the village of Nettlebed.  It dates from the late 17th or early 18th century, but from 1927 to 1938 it was converted for burning lime.  It was restored in the 1970s with help from local people and is now cared for by Oxfordshire County Council.  The outside can be viewed from the roadside.

WEBSITE:   A short history of brick making in Nettlebed is at  Nettlebed website - brickmaking

A drawing of the surviving brick kiln is at  Nettlebed website - brick kiln

LOCATION:  The Brick Kiln is at the beginning of Kiln Close which is just to the E of the junction of the A4130 and the B481 (N towards Watlington).

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Brick Kiln is at Map Ref SU702868  (or X=470200 Y=186800)

LAT/LONG:  The Brick Kiln is at Lat N51:34:33, Long W0:59:18  (or Decimal 51.5757, -0.9883)

POSTCODE:  RG9 5BA.

▲top  map

Nuffield Place, Oxon   (No 65 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Nuffield Place is the former home of Lord Nuffield, the great industrialist and benefactor William Richard Morris, who founded Morris Motors.  The house was built in 1914, and enlarged for Lord Nuffield when he purchased it in 1933, after which he lived there until his death in 1963.  The house contains many of his original furnishings, and shows many aspects of his inventive work and life, during which he gave vast amounts to health and education establishments.

BACKGROUND TO OPENING OF HOUSE:  One endowment (of £1 million) that Lord Nuffield made was in 1937, for the Nuffield College at Oxford to be built, he wished it to concentrate on engineering.  Oxford University later changed the focus of Nuffield College to Social Studies.  On his death in 1963, Lord Nuffield left his house Nuffield Place to Nuffield College, along with the £3 million residue of his estate.  For many years, Nuffield College had allowed a group called "The Friends of Nuffield Place" to open the house, as part of their objective of preserving the personal possessions of Lord and Lady Nuffield, and trying to increase awareness about the achievements of Lord Nuffield. However, in 2008, Nuffield College announced that it wished to sell Nuffield Place.  After 3 years of uncertainty, the College decided to donate the property to the National Trust who re-opened it to visitors in 2012.

OPEN (in 2014):  Wednesdays to Sundays, 2nd April to 2nd November.  (11.00-17.00)    [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £8.00,  Child: £4.00.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   National Trust website

LOCATION:  Nuffield Place is just 2 miles to the W of Nettlebed, and just N of the A4130 road to Wallingford.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Nuffield Place is at Map Ref SU679878  (or X=467900 Y=187800)

LAT/LONG:  Nuffield Place is at Lat N51:35:06, Long W1:01:17  (or Decimal 51.5849, -1.0213)

POSTCODE:  RG9 5RY.

▲top  map

Odds Farm Park, Bucks   (No 33 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Odds Farm Park has a wide range of farm and domestic animals, and a full programme of daily activities as well as special events.  It is a site mainly aimed at children.

OPEN (in 2014):  Every day, except December 25th + 26th & January 1st.  (10.00-17.30, closes at 15.30 on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve)    [22/4/14]

ADMISSION: Weekends & S Bucks School Holidays (in 2014):  Adult: £12.50,  Child (2-16): £11.50.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION: Weekdays in School Term Time (in 2014):  Adult: £9.95,  Child (2-16): £8.95.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Odds Farm Park website

TEL:  01628 520188

LOCATION:  Odds Farm Park is on Wooburn Common Road.  It is signposted from the A40 at Holtspur, which is on the W side of Old Beaconsfield.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance is at Map Ref SU923875   (or X=492300 Y=187500)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance is at Lat N51:34:44, Long W0:40:10  (or Decimal 51.5788, -0.6693)

POSTCODE:  HP10 0LX.

▲top  map

Pann Watermill, Bucks   (No 34 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Pann Mill in High Wycombe was a large 3 storey Georgian watermill which was demolished in 1971 to make way for a road widening scheme.  The scheme was never carried out as originally planned, so the High Wycombe Society used some of the old mill's machinery (such as the waterwheel from 1860) to construct a much smaller watermill.  The mill is maintained and opened on occasional days by volunteers.  Pann Mill was one of a series of 37 watermills in the 11 mile length of the River Wye between West Wycombe and Bourne End where it joins the River Thames.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open days on Sundays May 11th (11.00-17.00), July 13th, September 14th.   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Not shown on website.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Pann Watermill website

LOCATION:  The mill is by the A40 where it enters High Wycombe from the E (or London direction).  It is just at the end of The Rye (a large open space) where the A40 now bends to the left towards the main roundabouts that are just to the S of the town centre.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Mill is at Map Ref SU870927   (or X=487000 Y=192700)

LAT/LONG:  The Mill is at Lat N51:37:35, Long W0:44:40  (or Decimal 51.6264, -0.7445)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is HP11 1XS.

▲top  map

Paper Trail at Apsley, Herts   (No 35 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The Paper Trail's Visitor Centre is at Frogmore Mill, Apsley.  The mill has been in use since 1774 for paper making.  It grew into the vast John Dickinson site which came to dominate the landscape and the lives of the local people.  The Paper Trail has active programmes to involve children (particularly in recycling paper), it also provides training, and the John Dickinson Enterprise Centre has small business office space for new businesses.  The Paper Trail's new Visitor Centre opened on July 21st 2008.

OPEN (in 2014):  Thursdays, Fridays, Sundays, and Bank Holiday Mondays (11.00-16.30),  Closed New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Adult: £7.50,  Child (4-16): £5.50.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Paper Trail Project website

TEL:  01442 234600

LOCATION:  The Paper Trail Project Visitor Centre at Frogmore Mill is close to the A4251 at Apsley, to the south of Hemel Hempstead.  There are very detailed instructions on access and parking on their web site at:   Travel  

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166, OS Explorer 182.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Paper Trail Visitor Centre is approximately at Map Ref TL0058055   (or X=505844 Y=205522)

LAT/LONG:  The Paper Trail Visitor Centre is approximately at Lat N51:44:18, Long W0:28:07  (or Decimal 51.7384, -0.4685)

POSTCODE:  HP3 9RY.

▲top  map

Pegsdon Hills, Beds   (No 36 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  These steep chalk grassland hills give one of the best views in Bedfordshire.  They are run as a Nature Reserve by the Beds, Cambs, Northants & Peterborough Wildlife Trust.  The hills have a wealth of wild floweres and herbs, as well as butterflies.  On the S side is the Icknield Way, which also forms the border between Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire, which at one time was quite a barrier.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   BCNP website

LOCATION:  Pegsdon Hills are to the S of the B565 between Barton-le-Clay and Hitchin.  The BCNP recommend turning off the B565 (onto the road to Shillington) and parking in a layby.  The hills are accessable via a footpath acxross the B565.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166, OS Explorer 193.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance from the B565 is at Map Ref TL118301   (or X=511800 Y=230100)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance from the B565 is at Lat N51:27:29, Long W0:22:28  (or Decimal 51.9581, -0.3743)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is SG5 3JS.

▲top  map

Penn Wood, Bucks   (No 13 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Penn Wood, at 177 hectares (or 436 acres), is one of the largest of the ancient woodlands in the Chilterns.  After a great deal of campaigning and fundraising by many people and organisations including the Chiltern Society, in 1999 the Woodland Trust was able to purchase the wood.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITES:   Woodland Trust web site

There is a page on the woods at  Penn Street Village web site

LOCATION:  The wood lies to the south of the A413 and Holmer Green, between Amersham and High Wycombe.  The easiest parking is at Penn Street church, on the eastern side of the wood.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Centre of the wood is at Map Ref SU916959  (or X=491600 Y=195900)

LAT/LONG:  Centre of the wood is at Lat N51:39:16, Long W0:40:38  (or Decimal 51.6544, -0.6772)

POSTCODE:  Nearest Postcode is HP7 0PX.

▲top  map

Pitstone Green Farm Museum, Bucks   (No 57 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This museum is housed in the buildings of a farm, most of which was built in 1831, although there are some earlier buildings still surviving .  Its focus is on rural life, but it also has a variety of other features, including engines, radios, photographic and electrical equipment and miltary aviation, as well as workshops portraying various trades and crafts.  The museum is run by volunteers who also open it to the public.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open Days on BH Monday April 21st, BH Monday May 5th, BH Monday May 26th, Sunday June 8th, Sunday July 13th, Sunday August 10th, BH Monday August 25th, Sunday September 14th, Sunday October 12th.  (11.00-17.00)   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £6.00,  Child: £2.00.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Pitstone Green Farm Museum website

LOCATION:  The entrance to the Museum is in Vicarage Road, Pitstone.  Just to the W of Ivinghoe there is a roundabout on the B489 (which goes to Aston Clinton).  Turn S from this roundabout and the farm is just on the left, by a bend in the road.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance is at Map Ref SP936156  (or X=493600 Y=215600)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance is at Lat N51:49:52, Long W0:38:35  (or Decimal 51.8311, -0.6430)

POSTCODE:  LU7 9EY.

Also go up this page to Ford End Watermill which is nearby.

Also go down this page to Pitstone Windmill which is nearby.

▲top  map

Pitstone Windmill, Bucks   (No 58 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  A Post Mill believed to date from 1627, making it one of the earliest in the country.  It was given to the National Trust in 1937, by the farmer at Pitstone Green Farm.  Led by his son, the windmill was restored by volunteers in the 1960s. 

OPEN (in 2014):  Open on Sunday May 11th, and on Sundays and BH Mondays from 25th May to 31st August  (14.30-18.00).   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £2.50,  Child: £1.00.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT website

TEL:  01442 851227

LOCATION:  The windmill stands in the centre of a field.  It is best appoached from the B488 to Tring, just S of its junction with the B489 which runs from Ivinghoe to Dunstable.  There is some parking space by the bend where a path leads across the field to the windmill.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance to the field is at Map Ref SP947158  (or X=494700 Y=215800)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance to the field is at Lat N51:49:58, Long W0:37:37  (or Decimal 51.8327, -0.6270)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is LU7 9EJ.

Also go up this page to Ford End Watermill which is nearby.

Also go up this page to Pitstone Green Farm Museum which is nearby.

▲top  map

Princes Risborough, Bucks

Go down this page to Whiteleaf Cross

Redbournbury Watermill, Herts   (No 59 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Redbournbury mill stands besides the River Ver on its way to St Albans.  Although not quite in the Chilterns, it is only about three miles from the Chiltern Hills.  The watermill has had a long and interesting history, possibly stretching back nearly 1000 years.  The oldest parts of the present building date from the 16th century, and the mill was in use until the 1950s. Restoration work had just started in 1987, when a disastrous fire occured destroying most of the interior of the mill.  However the mill has been rebuilt, and produces flour, some of which is now used to bake bread in a bakery on the same site.

OPEN (in 2014):  Every Saturday morning (9.00-13.00).  Every Sunday afternoon (14.30-17.00, but closes at 16.30 in winter), but closed on the Sundays preceding and following Christmas Day.  Bakery open Saturdays (09.00-13.00).  Mill Shop is open on Sunday afternoons, and normally open Tuesday and Friday mornings for flour sales, please phone to check (09.00-12.00)    [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Free admission to Mill Museum during 2014.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Redbournbury Watermill website

TEL:  Mill: 01582 792874,  Bakery: 01582 792173

LOCATION:  The mill is just to the E of the A5183 road between Redbournbury and St Albans, just 1 mile S of Redbourn.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166, OS Explorer 182.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The mill is at Map Ref TL118107  (or X=511800 Y=210700)

LAT/LONG:  The mill is at Lat N51:47:02, Long W0:22:50  (or Decimal 51.7838, -0.3806)

POSTCODE:  AL3 6RS.

▲top  map

River and Rowing Museum at Henley, Oxon   (No 60 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This museum in a modern building contains exactly what its name describes.  It stands close to the river, and sensibly built high up to withstand floods that it has already experienced.  There is a permanent large gallery to all aspects of the River Thames.  There is another to the sport of Rowing, with examples of boats from the last two centuries.  There is also a smaller gallery to the history of Henley-on-Thames, and a special gallery devoted to Kenneth Graham's "The Wind in the Willows", as well as space for special exhibitions.

OPEN (in 2014):  Every day, except Dec 24th + 25th + 26th + 31st & Jan 1st.  (10.00-17.30, but closes at 17.00 from Sept to April)   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Adult: £8.50,  Child (4-16): £6.50.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   RRM website

TEL:  01491 415600

LOCATION:  The address of the Museum is Mill Meadows, Henley-on-Thames.  It is near the station and the river and buses that stop in the town centre, so various means of transport are possible to get to this museum (see their website).  By road, travel S from the W end of Henley bridge (on the N bank or town side of the bridge), and drive into Mill Meadows near the staion.  The museum is behind the trees along on the right hand side.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The museum is at Map Ref SU767821  (or X=476700 Y=182100)

LAT/LONG:  The museum is at Lat N51:31:57, Long W0:53:44  (or Decimal 51.5326, -0.8956)

POSTCODE:  RG9 1BF.

▲top  map

Sharpenhoe Clappers, Beds   (No 17 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The extreme NW point of the Chilterns is in Bedfordshire and is looked after by the National Trust.  It is crowned with one of a range of prehistoric Hill Forts that are along the Chiltern escarpment.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [29/3/13]

WEBSITE:   NT website

LOCATION:  Its location is N of Luton, just to the W of the A6 and Barton-le-Clay.  There is a car park on a minor road between the villages of Streatley and Sharpenhoe.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166,  OS Explorer 193.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Car park is at Map Ref TL065296  (or X=506500 Y=229600)

LAT/LONG:  Car park is at Lat N51:57:17, Long W0:27:06  (or Decimal 51.9547, -0.4516)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is LU3 3PP.

▲top  map

Speen, Bucks

Go up this page to Home of Rest for Horses

Stockwood Discovery Centre, Beds   (No 12 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Stockwood Park is in Bedfordshire.  The previous Stockwood Park Museum has been redeveloped as the Stockwood Discovery Centre, which opened on 12th July 2008.

OPEN (in 2014):  Monday to Friday (10.00-17.00, closes at 16.00 from November),  Saturday & Sunday & BH's (11.00-17.00, closes at 16.00 from November)   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Free (except for special events).  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Stockwood Discovery Centre web site

TEL:  01582 548600

LOCATION:  Stockwood Park is just to the S of Luton Town Centre.  The Discovery Centre is accessed from London Road, which runs north from the roundabout where the A1081 meets the M1 at Junction 10A.

OS MAPS:  The entrance to the Discovery Centre is on OS Landranger 166, and OS Explorer 182.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Discovery Centre is at Map Ref TL086197  (or X=508849 Y=219572)

LAT/LONG:  The Discovery Centre is at Lat N51:51:51, Long W0:25:14  (or Decimal 51.8641, -0.4206)

POSTCODE:  LU1 4LX.

Also go down this page to Wardown Park and Museum

▲top  map

Stoke Poges Memorial Gardens, Bucks   (No 63 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  These unusual memorial gardens are a rare survival of a garden specifically designed for the internment of ashes, in a setting without monuments of any kind, so that it does not look like a cemetery.  The land was originally part of Stoke Park, whose character changed when a golf course was built in 1909.  In the 1930s Sir Noel Mobbs purchased 20 acres of land to the S of the church which, in 1935, was dedicated as a non-denominational memorial ground.  The design was by Edward White which included many small family memorial gardens.  In 1971 South Buckinghamshire District Council took over the responsibility of looking after the gardens. However, by the end of the 20th century, and 63 years after their planting, parts were very overgrown, and a large restoration project was carried between 2001 and 2004.  There are good views of Stoke Park from parts of the gardens, and looking down the lake one can see some of the industrial structures of Slough, making one realise that the 21st century world is not so far away as the immediate landscape might suggest.

OPEN:  All the year from dawn to dusk, however some parts may be closed for some days each year.  [22/4/14]

The Penn Gray museum is now back in its original site, and is open during normal office hours, Mon-Fri (09.30-16.30).  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   South Bucks District Council website

TEL:  01753 523744

South Bucks District Council also have 3 documents, including a 12 page leaflet (in pdf format) about the Memorial Gardens, available to download from the above web page.

LOCATION:  The Gardens are in Church Lane and are to the W of the B416 between Gerrards Cross and Slough, and to the S of a spur of the B416 to Farnham Royal.   There is a car park opposite the entrance to the gardens from where it is also easy (minding the traffic) to access Stoke Poges Church, to the N of the Gardens, and also the Grey Monument which is to the NE of the church.  Access to the memorial gardens is via the churchyard at weekends

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance is at Map Ref SU977826   (or X=497700 Y=182600)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance is at Lat N51:32:02, Long W0:35:34  (or Decimal 51.5338, -0.5928)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is SL2 4NZ.

▲top  map

Stoke Row, Oxon

Go up this page to Maharajah's Well

Stonor Park, Oxon   (No 37 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The Manor House of Stonor is beautifully set within its grounds in the Chiltern landscape. It has been the home of the same family for 850 years.  The oldest building is the private 14th century chapel which stands next to the house.  Stonor, its family, and their chapel, have long been known for their continued support of the Catholic faith through all the stages of reform from the 16th century onwards.

OPEN (in 2014):  From April 6th to September 28th on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays, and also Wednesdays in July and August. (Gardens & Chapel open at 13.00, House opens at 14.00, last admission at 16.30. Closes at 17.30)   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to House and Garden (in 2014):  Adult: £9.00,  First Child (5-16): £4.50,  Other children: Free.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Garden only in (2014):  Adult: £4.50,  First Child (5-16): £2.50,  Other children: Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Stonor Park website

TEL:  01491 638587

LOCATION:  Stonor is to the E of the B480 which runs from the A4130 (NW of Henley-on-Thames) to the B481 S of Watlington.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 171.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance to the park is at Map Ref SU737891  (or X=473700 Y=189100)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance to the park is at Lat N51:35:45, Long W0:56:15  (or Decimal 51.5959, -0.9374)

POSTCODE:  RG9 6HF.

▲top  map

Sundon Country Park, Beds   (No 18 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  A country park N of Luton  It has a mixture of beech and ash woodland, with steeply wooded valleys.  It is managed by Bedfordshire County Council in conjunction with the National Trust.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Bedford Borough Council website

TEL:  01582 608489

LOCATION:  The Country Park is between Upper Sundon and Harlington, to the W of the A6 and Streatley village, N of Luton.  There is a car park in Harlington Road.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166,  OS Explorer 193.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The car park is at Map Ref TL047285  (or X=504700 Y=228500)

LAT/LONG:  The car park is at Lat N51:56:43, Long W0:28:41  (or Decimal 51.9451, -0.4781)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is LU3 3PE.

▲top  map

Taplow Court, Bucks   (No 38 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Taplow Court is a spectacular mansion in a commanding position overlooking the River Thames, that has certainly been recognised as a special site since the Iron Age when a large hill-fort was constructed there.  The present mansion was given its current look in the 19th century, the outside being essentially an unusual attempt at  Jacobean revival, although with hints of French Gothic.  The interior holds another surprise, in being neo-Norman.  The property is now the home of SGI-UK, a Buddhist organisation who look after the house and its grounds extremely well.

OPEN (in 2014):   Sundays June 1st,  July 6th,  August 3rd,  September 14th for Heritage Open Days.  (14.30-17.00).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Taplow Court website

TEL:  01628 773163

LOCATION:  Taplow Court is to the NW of Taplow village in Cliveden Road.  In Taplow, the road changes to Berry Hill, which goes S and joins the A4 Bath Road 200 yards W of the railway bridge over the A4.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Taplow Court is at Map Ref SU907822  (or X=490700 Y=182200)

LAT/LONG:  Taplow Court is at Lat N51:31:53, Long W0:41:38  (or Decimal 51.5314, -0.6938)

POSTCODE:  SL6 0ER.

▲top  map

The Lee, Bucks

Go up this page to Earl Howe Figurehead

Totternhoe Knolls & Quarry, Beds   (No 39 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  These two sites are run as nature reserves by the BCNP Wildlife Trust.  The Knoll is the site of a motte and bailey castle, and the Quarry is a strange landscape of deep gullies where the famous Totternhoe stone (a very hard chalk) was quarried out in medieval times to be used for many famous buildings, particularly churches.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside sites.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   BCNP website

LOCATION:  Totternhoe can be approached from the N via the A505 by turning S halfway between the A5 and A4146 junctions.  It can also be reached via Dunstable in the E by leaving the town on the B489 towards Ivinghoe, and turning right to Totternhoe just after the B4541 turning on the left to Dunstable Downs.  In the middle of Totternhoe village, turn N up a track to a car park, from where footpaths lead to the Knoll or the Quarry.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 192.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The car park is at Map Ref SP 986217   (or X=498600 Y=221700)

Entrance to Totternhoe Knolls is at SP978221,  Entrance to Totternhoe Quarry is at SP983223.

LAT/LONG:  The car park is at Lat N51:53:07, Long W0:34:08  (or Decimal 51.8851, -0.5688)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is LU6 1QG.

▲top  map

Tring Local History Mueum, Herts   (not yet on map, will be 66)

DESCRIPTION:  This new museum has now opened in the old office building of Tring's former Cattle Market. The focus of the museum is on the town of Tring and its surrounding villages.

OPEN:   Fridays and Saturdays (10.00-16.00, closes at 15.30 November to February).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Tring Local History Museum website

TEL:  01442 827601

LOCATION:  The address of Tring Local History Museum is The Market Place, Brook Street, Tring.  Parking is available in The Forge Car Park, access from the High Street.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Museum is at Map Ref SP926116   (or X=492600 Y=211600)

LAT/LONG:  The Museum is at Lat N51:47:43, Long W0:39:32  (or Decimal 51.7953, -0.6586)

POSTCODE:  Postcode is HP23 5ED.

▲top  map

Tring Reservoirs, Herts   (No 40 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  There are 4 reservoirs altogether, which were built between 1802 and 1818 to meet the increasing demand for water for all the locks required to lift the Grand Junction (now Union) Canal over the Chilterns.  The first reservoir built was Wilstone, followed by Marsworth, then Startop's End and Tringford.  The reservoirs are now a rich haven for waterbirds and wildlife and a designated SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest).  There are many miles of paths around the reservoirs to explore the area, as well as the Grand Union Canal with its Aylesbury Arm and Wendover Arm, which is underging a long restoration project.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside sites.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:  British Waterways used to have a dedicated website for Tring Reservoirs with a great deal of information on the history of the canal and its reservoirs and what there is to see around them (www.tringreservoirs.com). This now seems to have disappeared, but some information is available on their leisure  website Waterscape

Friends of Tring Reservoirs website  The Friends are a local organisation formed to promote the conservation of this important SSSI.  Their website has a vast amount of information, particularly on the wildlife and records of sightings, etc.  It also has a map showing the 4 reservoirs and the main footpaths around them at  Map on FoTR website

LOCATION:  Tring Reservoirs are just to the N of Tring, accessed from the B489 between Aston Clinton and Ivinghoe.  There is a large car park where the B489 crosses the canal at Startop's End, and a smaller one about a mile further W at Wilstone reservoir.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Startop's End car park at  is at Map Ref SP919140  (or X=491900 Y=214000)

LAT/LONG:  The Startop's End car park is at Lat N51:49:01, Long W0:40:05  (or Decimal 51.8170, -0.6681)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is HP23 4LL.

▲top  map

Tring, Herts

Go up this page to Natural History Museum at Tring

Go up this page to Tring Reservoirs

Wardown Park & Museum, Beds   (No 42 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  The 11 acre park was the grounds of a large house purchased by Luton Council in 1904.  The River Lea runs through the park which has been restored with the work being completed in 2005.  The Museum was first opened in the house in 1930.  Galleries are devoted to different topics, such as: the ancient and natural history of the area, hat making, lace, the Beds and Herts regiment, and upstairs a Luton Life gallery shows the stories of Luton people over the last 150 years.

MUSEUM OPEN:  Tuesdays to Saturdays (10.00-17.00), and Sundays (13.00-17.00).   [22/4/14]

MUSEUM ADMISSION:  Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Wardown Park Museum

TEL:  01582 546722

LOCATION:  Wardown Park is about a mile and a half N of Luton Town Centre, to the E of the A6.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166, OS Explorer 193.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Park is at Map Ref TL089229  (or X=508900 Y=222900)

LAT/LONG:  The Park is at Lat N51:53:38, Long W0:25:08  (or Decimal 51.8940, -0.4188)

POSTCODE:  LU2 7HA.

Also go up this page to Stockwood Park and Discovery Centre

▲top  map

Wendover, Bucks

Go up this page to Coombe Hill

Wendover Woods, Bucks   (No 43 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This large woodland of 325 hectares (or 803 acres) is a mixture of coniferous and broadleaved woodland cared for by the Forestry Commission.  There are plenty of paths to walk in the woods and some more open spaces, and increasing range of more adventurous activities as well.  There is also a 'cafe in the woods' which is near the main car park.

OPEN:  Every day (except Christmas Day) from 08.00. Closes at various times from 17.00 to 19.00 during the year (please see their website).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Free, but there is a parking charge per car, £1.60 for 2 hours, £3.20 for 4 hours, and £5.90 for all day.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Forestry Commission website

TEL:  01296 625825 (Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings)

LOCATION:  Wendover Woods are to the E of Wendover and Halton.  From the B4009 between Wendover and Aston Clinton / Tring, turn where signposted to Wendover Woods.  The main entrance is 250 yards along on the right.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The main entrance is at Map Ref  SP887105   (or X=488700 Y=210500)

LAT/LONG:  The car park is at Lat N51:47:10, Long W0:42:56  (or Decimal 51.7861, -0.7154)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode (for SatNav routing to main entrance) is HP22 5NQ.

▲top  map

Weston Turville Reservoir, Bucks   (No 41 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Weston Turville Reservoir was another built for the Grand Union canal (like the Tring Reservoirs), specifically for the Wendover Arm.  It is now kept as a nature reserve, maintained by BBOWT, and has a perimeter path right around the reservoir.  Parking is available in a long lay-by.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   BBOWT website

LOCATION:  From the northern end of the Wendover bypass (A413) take the B4009 towards Wendover and at the second of a pair of roundabout turn left along World's End Lane, signposted to Weston Trville.  There is a long lay-by on the right, from where you can walk up to the footpath around the reservoir.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 1814.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The lay-by is at Map Ref SP859096    (or X=485900 Y=209600)

LAT/LONG:  The lay-by is at Lat N51:46:43, Long W0:45:23  (or Decimal 51.7784, -0.7562)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is HP22 5PS.

Go up this page to Tring Reservoirs

▲top  map

West Wycombe Caves, Bucks   (No 7 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  A network of caves in West Wycombe Hill which were dug out in the 1740s for the infamous Sir Francis Dashwood.  The chalk was used to build a new road from High Wycombe to West Wycombe, and later the caves were used for meetings of Dashwood's Hell Fire Club.  Above the caves and on the hilltop, there is an iron age fort as well as Dashwood's unusual church, and the Dashwood family's vast Mausoleum, which can be viewed from the outside.

OPEN (in 2013):  Every day from April to October (11.00-17.30).  Saturdays & Sundays (and some Bank and School Holidays) from November to March (11.00-Dusk).  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2013):  Adult: £5.00,  Child (from 3): £4.00.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Hell Fire Caves web site

TEL:  01494 533739.

LOCATION:  West Wycombe is on the A40, W of High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire.  The entrance to the caves is on the road up the hill in front of the school, and opposite the entrance to West Wycombe Park.  There is a large car park in Chorley Road, beside the walled Garden Centre.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175,  OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Caves are at Map Ref SU829948  (or X=482900 Y=194800)

LAT/LONG:  The Caves is at Lat N51:38:45, Long W0:48:12  (or Decimal 51.6458, -0.8032)

POSTCODE:  HP14 3AH.

▲top  map

West Wycombe Park, Bucks   (No 44 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This house was the home of one of the country's most notorious characters from the 18th century, Sir Francis Dashwood.  His house and landscaped parkland are amongst the finest of this extravagent period.

OPEN (in 2014):  Grounds only:  April 1st to May 29th on Sundays to Thursdays (14.00-18.00).   [22/4/14]

House and Grounds:  Jun 1st to August 31st on Sundays to Thursdays (14.00-18.00).   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to Grounds only (in 2014):  Adult: £4.00,  Child: £2.40.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION to House and Grounds (in 2014):  Adult: £8.50,  Child: £4.20.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT website

There is a good set of photos of West Wycombe Park at  Peter Goodearl's website

TEL:  01494 755571 or 01494 513569

LOCATION:  West Wycombe Park lies to the S of the village of West Wycombe which is on the A40 between High Wycombe and Stokenchurch.  Access to West Wycombe Park, and its car park, is at the W end of West Wycombe village.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175 (just at top), OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The entrance is at Map Ref SU827946    (or X=482700 Y=194600)

LAT/LONG:  The entrance is at Lat N51:38:39, Long W0:48:22  (or Decimal 51.6441, -0.8062)

POSTCODE:  HP14 3AJ.

▲top  map

Whipsnade Tree Cathedral, Beds   (No 11 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  This unusual site in Bedfordshire was planted (in what was then part of his garden) by a Mr Blyth after a visit to Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral in the 1930s.  He had been inspired to remember the faith and hope that he had shared with two colleagues who had been killed in the 1st World War.  The site is now owned by the National Trust, and administered by the Trustees of Whipsnade Tree Cathedral Fund.

OPEN:  All year, dawn to dusk. Car Park locked at 19.00 from April to October, otherwise at 17.00.  [22/4/14]

ADMISSION:  Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   NT web site

TEL:  01582 872406

LOCATION:  The site is in Whipsnade village on the B4540 which joins the A5 N of Markyate.  Access from the N is by the B4541 from Dunstable, or from the W by the B489 by Ivinghoe and Tring.  Access from the S is also possible by the B4506 and A4146 to Hemel Hempstead.  There is a car park in Whipsnade village.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166,  OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  Car Park is at Map Ref TL008180  (or X=500800 Y=218000)

LAT/LONG:  Car park is at Lat N51:51:05, Long W0:32:17  (or Decimal 51.8515, -0.5379)

POSTCODE:  LU6 2LG.

▲top  map

Whipsnade Zoo, Beds   (No 45 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Whipsnade Zoo is run by the Zoological Society of London.  It is set in 600 acres of the Chilterns which has always allowed its animals more room than most zoos.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day of the year except December 25th.  (Opens at 10.00, Closing time varies between 16.00 and 18.00 according to the time of the year, please see their website).   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Please see their own web site as there are rates vary across the year.  For the 2014 Peak Season, 15 Feb to 2nd November:  Adult: £21.36,  Child (3-15): £15.45.

Car Parking charges apply according to the time of year.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Whipsnade Zoo website

TEL:  01582 872171

LOCATION:  The Zoo is just W of Whipsnade village on the B4540 which joins the A5 N of Markyate.  Access from the N is by the B4541 from Dunstable, or from the W by the B489 by Ivinghoe and Tring.  Access from the S is also possible by the B4506 and A4146 to Hemel Hempstead.  The Zoo is on the S side of the B4506, and the car park is on the N side.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 166, OS Explorer 181 or 182.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The Zoo is at Map Ref TL003178    (or X=500300 Y=217800)

LAT/LONG:  The Zoo is at Lat N51:50:59, Long W0:32:43  (or Decimal 51.8497, -0.5452)

POSTCODE:  LU6 2LF.

▲top  map

Whiteleaf Cross, Bucks   (No 61 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  A very large chalk cross on the escarpment of the Chilterns, near Princes Risborough in Buckinghamshire.  Despite much recent work on prehistoric and much later parts of the site, the age and history of the cross itself remains rather obscure.  Following the recent work on and above the cross, a large structure has been put across the top of the cross, which combines information boards with seating.  The idea of the structure, together with its design and size have not met with unanimous approval.

ADMISSION:  Free, open countryside site.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITES:   Buckinghamshire County Council web site

Further information is on the extensive 'hill figures' web site of Dr Mark Hows at  Mark Hows's web site

There are a large number of sets of photos from 2002 to 2007, which show various stages of the restoration work carried out on the cross in recent years at  Peter Goodearl's web site

LOCATION:  Whiteleaf Cross is NE of Princes Risborough.  Access is via Peters Lane which leaves the A4010 (between Princes Risborough to Aylesbury) at Monks Risborough, next to a school.  This road bends to the right at the foot of Whiteleaf Cross, and at the top of the hill there is a car park on the left.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 165, OS Explorer 181.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The car park is at Map Ref SP823036    (or X=482300 Y=203600)

LAT/LONG:  The car park is at Lat N51:43:30, Long W0:48:36  (or Decimal 51.7250, -0.8098)

POSTCODE:  Nearest postcode is HP27 0RP.

▲top  map

Wooburn Common, Bucks  

Go up this page to Odds Farm Park

Wycombe Museum, Bucks   (No 62 on map)

DESCRIPTION:  Wycombe Museum is located in an attractive 18th century flint house standing in its own gardens.  It has a range of permanent displays on the history of High Wycombe, particularly its furniture industry, as well as a programme of special exhibitions.  The museum celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2007, and is run by Wycombe District Council.  WDC are currently planning to close and sell the building, and move its contents to their main office site.

OPEN (in 2014):  Open every day except Bank Holidays  (Mondays to Saturdays 10.00-17.00, Sundays 14.00-17.00).   [22/4/14]

ADMISSION (in 2014):  Free.  [22/4/14]

WEBSITE:   Wycombe Museum website

TEL:  01494 421895

LOCATION:  The Museum is in Priory Avenue, on the NW corner of the junction with The Greenway.  On foot, it is easily approached from High Wycombe station, turn right out of the station, cross over the railway, and turn left into Priory Avenue.  The museum is on the right just after the first turning on the right (The Greenway).  By car, the end of Priory Avenue is closed to traffic, so it is necessary to drive up Amersham Hill (A404) and turn left into the next turning, Priory Road.  Then turn left again into the top end of The Greenway.  There is pay and display parking in The Greenway and Priory Avenue.

OS MAPS:  OS Landranger 175, OS Explorer 172.

MAP REF  (NGR):  The museum is at Map Ref SU867932    (or X=486700 Y=193200)

LAT/LONG:  The museum is at Lat N51:37:51, Long W0:44:56  (or Decimal 51.6309, -0.7487)

POSTCODE:  HP13 6PX.

▲top  map

 

 

Sundon Country Park Sharpenhoe Clappers Pegsdon Hills Hitchin Museum Hitchin British Schools Museum Wardown Park and Museum Stockwood Park and Discovery Centre Mead Open Farm Totternhoe Knolls and Quarry Dunstable Downs and Chiltern Gateway Centre Whipsnade Tree Cathedral Whipsnade Zoo Ivinghoe Beacon Ford End Watermill Pitstone Windmill Pitstone Green Farm Museum College Lake Tring Reservoirs Ashridge Estate Natural History Museum at Tring Berkhamsted Castle Paper Trail at Apsley Redbournbury Watermill Weston Turville Reservoir Wendover Woods Coombe Hill Earl Howe Figurehead Chesham Museum Amersham Museum Chenies Manor Chiltern Open Air Museum Milton's Cottage Penn Wood Hughenden Manor West Wycombe Caves Whiteleaf Cross Home of Rest for Horses Lacey Green Windmill Bottom Wood West Wycombe Park Wycombe Museum Pann Watermill Environment Centre Bekonscot Odds Farm Park Burnham Beeches Black Park Country Park Langley Park Stoke Poges Memorial Gardens Cliveden Taplow Court Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway Aston Rowant National Nature Reserve Cowleaze Wood Christmas Common Woods Stonor Park River and Rowing Museum at Henley Nettlebed Brick Kiln Grey's Court Nuffield Place - NOW CLOSED Maharajah's Well Ewelme Watercress Beds Basildon Park Beale Park Mapledurham House and Watermill

▲top  ▲map

IMPORTANT NOTES

This list is not complete, but represents a cross-section of properties that welcome visitors, particularly those with a historic, nature, or environmental theme.

There are many more nature reserves, woods and open spaces to visit, too many to list here.

Churches are not included in this list, but there are many fine examples to visit in the Chilterns.

Properties regarded as purely commercial are not included.

Every effort has been taken to produce accurate information, but no responsibility can be taken for any inaccuracies.

The information on this page has been compiled by Michael Hardy, Honorary Secretary of Lacey Green Windmill Restoration Committee.

If you do find any inaccuracies or links that do not work, please let me know by E-mail:

laceygreenmill@btinternet.com

▲top  ▲map

ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS

All the Ordnance Survey Maps referred to above are listed below:

Landranger series (1:50,000)

No 165  -  Aylesbury & Leighton Buzzard

No 166  -  Luton & Hertford

No 175  -  Reading & Windsor

No 176  -  West London

Explorer series (1:25,000)

No 171  -  Chiltern Hills West

No 172  -  Chiltern Hills East

No 181  -  Chiltern Hills North

No 182  -  St Albans & Hatfield

No 192  -  Buckingham & Milton Keynes (unfortunately double sided)

No 193  -  Luton & Stevenage

▲top  ▲map


Thank you for looking at www.laceygreenwindmill.org.uk

This page was last updated on 23rd April 2014.


Return to top of this page

The following links refer to Lacey Green Windmill's website:

Home Page    Information for Visitors    Booklet    History    Restoration    News Archive    Interior of Mill    Special Events